Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Lethal legacy, by Linda Fairstein

Having been a library enthusiast for as long as I can remember, I heartily endorse the dedication in Linda Fairstein's new book: "For librarians - Guardian angels of the mind and soul."
And while I eagerly await each new Fairstein title, my eagerness turned to disappointment after the first few chapters.
The reason? Too much information. Fairstein sets each of her Alex Cooper crime novels against the background of historic places in New York. In this case it's the New York Public Library that stars in this murderous tale. Books, dangerous? You betcha, if they're rare, and maps too. And that's where Fairstein gets hung up on way too much detail about old books and maps and the collection thereof, and where I got lost. But don't let that put you off - it's still a pretty good read, and if you're a library nut, it will make you want to visit this great library.

Rating - I give this 3/5 Nothing Special
Get this from the library
Reviewed by Jan @ Ballarat branch


No comments: