Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Iron Heart by Marshall Browne

Franz Schmidt arrives in Berlin in January 1939 to take up the position of Chief Auditor at the Reichsbank, the financial heart of the Third Reich. He has been positioned there by the enigmatic von Streck, a high-ranking member of the Nazi party but one who has a different agenda to that of the Fuehrer. Schmidt realises he must tread very carefully to avoid the zealous and passionate Fraulein Brandt, who is determined to destroy anyone unfaithful to the Party. After the murder of a co-worker, Schmidt is driven, despite von Streck's orders to keep a low profile, to help the dead man's assistant, who is now in grave danger herself.

I didn't realise this was the second book with Herr Schmidt as the character. There were enough references and explanations and I liked filling in the gaps myself - I honestly thought the author was crediting his readers with enough intelligence to not be told the "whole" story. I love low tech thrillers and murders set in a well described point in history and this was an absolute cracker!!!
Rating - I give this 5/5
GREAT!!
Reviewed by Sarah@ Hamilton library

No comments: