Friday, August 20, 2010

Now, by Morris Gleitzman

"Once I didn't know about my grandfather Felix's scary childhood. Then I found out what the Nazis did to his best friend Zelda....At least he's got me. My name is Zelda too. This is our story."In Felix and the two Zeldas - Felix's wartime friend and his granddaughter - and trilogy of Once, Then and Now, renowned Australian writer Morris Gleitzman has created characters and stories that leap off the page.
Having read the first two books, Now was a must-read for me and I was curious to find out how Gleitzman could take the boy Felix, with his scarring wartime experiences, into the present day. Now an old man, Felix is a retired surgeon who has spent a lifetime helping people - including his granddaughter when she is bullied at the school she is attending while her parents are away.
Felix's disturbing memories of his past, the cruel treatment Zelda experiences at school and a frightening bushfire, plus Gleitzman's masterly storytelling, combine to make Now a compelling read. Despite dealing with serious issues, there is some wonderful humour in these books - Gleitzman at his best. And while the series is aimed at mature young readers, it's very suitable for adult readers too - although be warned: it will probably make you cry.
Rating - I give this 5/5
GREAT!!
Get this from the library
Reviewed by Jan @ Ballarat

No comments: