Friday, August 27, 2010

A darker shade of blue by John Harvey

I know short stories aren't everyone's cup of tea, but fans of crime novels will be doing themselves a disservice if they ignore the latest offering from the man who has been described as 'the master of British crime.'
I'm a fan of Harvey's long-running series of novels featuring jazz-loving Detective Inspector Charlie Resnick, and his more recent creation, DI Frank Elder. I can't remember if I've read either of his two earlier short story collections, but this new book was unputdownable.
According to the blurb, Harvey's 'finely crafted vignettes perfectly encapsulate life in the badlands of modern Britain'', which sounds pretty gloomy - but it isn't.

Each of the stories, featuring Elder, Resnick or former footballer turned private investigator Jack Kiley, was gripping, challenging, exciting and absorbing - do you get the idea that I loved this book?

Rating - I give this 4/5
GREAT!!
Get this from the library
Reviewed by Jan@ Ballarat branch

No comments: