Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Knife of never letting go by Patrick Ness

The blurb on the back cover of The Knife of Never Letting Go, includes a statement by Frank Cottrell Boyce whic says, the new Patrick Ness novel has one of the best first sentences he has ever read "and a book that lives up to it."

The first sentence is: "The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing to say."

And the rest of the book does live up to it. It took me a little while to get into it, I think you have to be in the right mood, but after about 50 pages, I just couldn't put it down. I was hanging onto every word on every page and also reading as quickly as possible so I could get to the end to find out what was going to happen. There was a devastating moment towards the end which left me feeling empty but it is the first in a series and I am now hanging out for book two!
(from the publisher) Todd Hewitt is the last boy in Prentisstown. But Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in a constant, overwhelming, never-ending Noise. There is no privacy. There are no secrets.
Or are there?
Just one month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd unexpectedly stumbles upon a spot of complete silence.
Which is impossible.
Prentisstown has been lying to him.
And now he's going to have to run...

Rating - I give this 4/5 GREAT!!
Reviewed by Tara @ library admin

No comments: