Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Marnie by Winston Graham


Marnie was one of my favourite books as a teenager, so I was curious to know if this 2003 reprint would grab me now as the original had all those years ago - and do you know, it did!
I remembered little enough of the story for it to be almost a fresh read, and what a satisfying experience that was.
Marnie Elmer supports her elderly mother and has been the charming, polite accounts girl in a variety of businesses - and under a variety of names. When a small family firm employs her, two of the partners seek her attention - and the younger partner becomes desperate to understand her cynicism and lies.
This story by master story-teller Winston Graham - best known for his historical Poldark novels - is as full of suspense as any mystery story, and is every bit as engrossing as I remembered.

Rating - I give this 4/5
Not bad!
Get this from the library
Reviewed by Jan@ Ballarat branch


No comments: